Funding Resources

The Idaho Assistive Technology Project (IATP) funded by the U.S. Department of Education, under the aegis of the Office of Special Education and Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA), assists individuals with disabilities in Idaho in acquiring the assistive technology they need to live more independent and productive lives.

Sources for financial assistance for the purchase of assistive technology are many and varied. Each has different eligibility criteria. Most require that an application for services or financial assistance be completed. All have specific rules regarding what equipment can be purchased.

Children's Special Health Program (CSHP)

A state wide program that provides family-centered, community-based, and culturally-sensitive coordinated care.
Eligibility: Idaho children who are believed to have a chronic condition which may be treated to prevent or minimize a disability.
Contact: Children's Special Health Program
450 W. State 4th Floor
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720
Phone: 877-887-3075
CSHP Website

Deaf and Hard of Hearing

National / State program that provides information and referral services for the deaf and hearing impaired.
Eligibility: none
Contact: Council for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
450 W. State St.
Boise, ID 83720
V/TDD: 208-334-0879
Council for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Website

Developmental Disabilities Program (D.D.P.) or (A/C.D.C.)

Federal/State program intended to meet basic health care needs of persons with developmental disabilities.
Eligibility: Any person with a developmental disability from birth on up. Cost is based on a variable fee or sliding scale.
Contact: Local Developmental Disabilities Program \ Adult Child Disabilities Center State Health and Welfare Department
450 W. State (10th Floor)
Boise, ID 83720-5450
Phone: 208-334-5500

Early Periodic Screening, Diagnosis and Treatment Program (EPSDT)

Federally mandated program under Medicaid to assure that all children who are poor have access to and obtain routine health care screening, assessments, and interventions to keep them healthy, as well as to stop any potential impact of physical or developmental impairment.
Eligibility: Medicaid recipients up to the age of 21.
Contact: Local Medicaid Office or Idaho State Office
Phone: 877-887-3075
EPSDT Program Website

Easter Seal Society

Charitable organization provides services to all disabilities, all ages, statewide.
Eligibility: Children or Adults with disabilities.
Contact: Easter Seals
1350 Vista Ave.
Boise, ID 83720
V/TDD: 208-334-0879
Easterseals Website

Idaho Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired (ICBVI)

The duties of the Idaho Commission are to assist persons with blindness in achieving social and economic independence.
Eligibility: Legally, functionally, or totally blind, and have a substantial handicap to employment as a result of this or any secondary handicap.
Contact: Idaho Commission for the Blind & Visually Impaired
341 W. Washington
Boise, ID 83702
Phone: 208-334-3220
ICBVI Website

Idaho Commission on Aging

National / State program that provides services to older persons.
Eligibility: 60+
Contact: Idaho Commission on Aging
341 W. Washington
Boise, ID 83702
Phone: 208-334-3833 or 1-800-926-2588
Idaho Commission on Aging Website

Idaho Infant Toddler Program (Health and Welfare)

Early intervention services for infants and children up to the age of three.
Eligibility: Children from birth to the age of three are eligible if they have developmental delays or have been diagnosed with a physical or mental condition that may lead to such a delay.
Contact: Idaho Commission on Aging
341 W. Washington
Boise, ID 83702
Phone: 208-334-3833 or 800-926-2588
Idaho Infant Toddler Program Website

Impairment-Related Work Expenses (IRWE)

Federal Program under the Social Security Administration that allows for impairment-related items and services needed for work to be deducted from earnings in figuring substantial gainful activity, even if these items and services are also needed for non-work activities.
Eligibility: Any person receiving S.S.I. or S.S.D.I. that is also working.
Contact: Department of Health and Human Services/Local Social Security Administration
Phone: 208-232-2747
IRWE Website

State Independent Living Council (SILC)

Non-Profit organization provides support, evaluation, services, and devices.
Eligibility: Any person with disabilities can participate in center activities.
Contact: Access Idaho
P.O. Box 4185
Pocatello, ID 83201
Phone: 208-334-3800 or 800-487-4866
SILC Website

In-Home Assistance Program (Health and Welfare)

Provides in-home assistance for persons with developmental disabilities.
Eligibility: Any person with a developmental disability from birth to age 21.
Contact: Local Developmental Disabilities Program (D.D.P.).

Katie Beckett (Medicaid)

State program intended to meet the health care needs of children with disabilities who are not eligible for Medicaid due to family income.
Eligibility: Determined on a case by case basis and is based on child's level of care.
Contact: Local Medicaid Office or State Office.
Phone: 2-1-1 or 800 926-2588 Katie Beckett DHW Website


Medicaid, title XIX of the Social Security Act, is a joint state-federal program which provides health care benefits to low-income recipients. The program reimburses providers for covered supplies and services rendered to qualified recipients.
Eligibility: Medicaid services are based upon financial need. Those covered include low-income families with children, pregnant women, elderly citizens, and persons with disabilities.
Contact: Idaho State Medicaid Office Division of Welfare
Towers Building. (2nd Floor)
Boise, ID 83720
Phone: 208-334-5795 or 877-456-1233
Idaho Medicaid Website


Medicare is a federal health insurance program which provides coverage for a limited amount of medical expenses and limited types of medical services.
Eligibility: Persons 65 and older, people under 65 with certain disabilities, and people of any age with End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) (permanent kidney failure requiring dialysis or a kidney transplant).
Contact: Questions on eligibility
Idaho Department of Insurance
Contact: Questions on Medicare Coverage
Phone: 800-247-4422
Medicare Information for Idaho Website

Multiple Sclerosis Society

Non-profit organization provides services to persons with multiple sclerosis.
Eligibility: Persons with Multiple Sclerosis, families, and service providers.
Contact: National MS Society
All America Chapter
Idaho State Division
6901 W. Emerald, Suite 207
Boise, ID 83704
Phone: 208-388-1998
Fax: 208-388-1907
Area MS Chapters Website

Plan for Achieving Self-Support (PASS)

A plan for achieving self-support (known as PASS) allows a person with a disability to set aside income and/or resources for a specified period of time for a work goal.
Eligibility: Any person who is disabled who receives S.S.I. or could qualify for S.S.I.
Contact: Department of Health and Human Services, Local Social Security Administration.
PASS Website

Respite Care Program (Health and Welfare)

Provides respite care for persons with developmental disabilities in their home or the home of the care provider.
Eligibility: Any person with a developmental disability from birth on up.
Contact: Local Developmental Disabilities Program (D.D.P.).

Special Education

The federal government mandates a free and appropriate education for all children with disabilities.
Eligibility / Coverage: The special education law does not contain a restrictive list of those services that may be covered.
Contact: Idaho State Special Education
650 W. State St. Rm 262
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720
Phone: 208-332-6800
SDE-Special Education Website

Veterans Administration

Federal agency which provides medical assistance to service men and women. Helps veterans who are filing a disability claim for service connected benefits.
Eligibility: Veterans
Contact: VA Medical Center
500 W. Fort St.
Boise, ID 83702-4598
Phone: 208-338-7235
VA Website

Vocational Rehabilitation

Vocational rehabilitation (V.R.) is a joint state-federal program to assist individuals with a disability to maximize their employment, independence, and community integration.
Eligibility: A person must have a physical or mental disability which results in a substantial handicap to employment; and there must be a reasonable expectation that, with the provision of services, the person will be able to become employed.
Contact: Idaho Division of Vocational Rehabilitation
Len B. Jordan Bldg.
650 W. State St Rm 150
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720
V/TDD: 208-334-3390
Idaho VA Website

Workers Compensation

Employers insurance which is required by law to cover employee injuries or accidents (there are some exceptions).
Eligibility: Job-related injury or disability.
Contact: Idaho Industrial Commission
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0041
Phone: 208-334-6000
Idaho Industrial Commission Website

Workforce Investment Act (WIA) (JTPA)

The Workforce Investment Act is a federally funded program designed to increase the employment, retention, earnings, and occupational skill attainment of the adult and dislocated worker participants who receive service.
Eligibility: Disadvantaged or disabled adults and youth over 16.
Contact: Local Idaho Department of Labor Office
Idaho Department of Labor
317 West Main
Boise, ID 83735
Phone: 208-332-3570
Idaho Dept. of Labor Website